Over the past several quarters, we have made major security enhancements to Confluent Platform, which have helped many of you safeguard your business-critical applications. With the latest release, we increased the robustness of our security feature set to help with:
- Using standard and central directory services like Active Directory (AD)/Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)
- Simplifying the management of access control lists (ACLs)
- Proactive management and monitoring of security configurations to address the gaps as soon as possible
The following new security features are available in both Confluent Platform 5.0 and Apache Kafka 2.0:
- Support for ACL-prefixed wildcards to simplify the management of access control
- Kafka Connect password protection with support for externalizing secrets (to “secrets stores,” etc., like Hashicorp Vault)
The following security features are available only in Confluent Platform 5.0:
- AD/LDAP group support
- Feature access controls in Confluent Control Center
- Viewing of broker configurations in Confluent Control Center, including differences in security configurations between brokers
Let’s walk through each of these enhancements in detail.
Read on for examples.