There was a blog post by Boris Hristov which had some good images of the various places to look in the GUI to make sure that the updates have been picked up correctly. Using these and through experimentation I was able to answer those questions.
Interesting questions and good answers.
I’m seeing lots of CXPACKETS waits, how do I fix these?
Bad Advice = Set the maximum degree of parallelism to 1, no more CXPACKET waits!
I’m seeing index fragmentation occur quite frequently on some of my indexes, what should I do?
Bad Advice = Set fill factor on the server to 70, no more fragmentation problems!
I’m worried about TempDB contention. What should I do?
Bad Advice = Set the number of files to the number of cores, no more contention issues!
Read the post for better advice.
Jan Mulkens has started a series on combining Power BI and R.
Fact is, R is here to stay. Even Microsoft has integrated R with SQL Server 2016 and it has made R scripting possible in it’s great Azure Machine Learning service.
So it was only a matter of time before we were going to see R integrated in Power BI.
From the previous point, it seems that R is just running in the background and that most of the functionality can be used.
Testing some basic functionality like importing and transforming data in the R visual worked fine.
I haven’t tried any predictive modelling yet but I assume that will just work as well.
So instead of printing “Hello world” to the screen, we’ll use a simple graph to say hello to the world.
First we need some data, Power BI enables us to enter some data in a familiar Excel style.
Just select “Enter Data” and start bashing out some data.
I’m looking forward to the rest of the series.
I already had my data flow populated with the lookup for MSA. I set it to full cache and entered a query in the connection to initially populate the fields that would be returned (simply my lookup query without the where clause).
Next, I opened the data flow properties, located Expressions and clicked on the ellipses to open the Property Expression Editor. I found the SQLCommand property for my MSA lookup and set it to my package variable that contained my query.
I had issues in the past with full cached lookups and variables. Fortunately, you can get around a lot of problems with expressions.