With shorter procs you can probably just collect actual execution plans and slam F5 like a tall glass of gin at 6am.
But you don’t wanna do that with the larger procs, for a few practical reasons:
– Lots of little queries run quickly, and we don’t care about those
– Navigating through lots of plans in SSMS is tedious
– There’s no differentiation when other procedures, etc. are invoked
– You introduce a lot of overhead retrieving and rendering all those plans
– The full query text might not be captured, which is a limitation in many places
Let’s save the day with sp_HumanEvents, my stored procedure that makes using Extended Events really easy.
Read on to see how this all works.