I started with
Get-DbaSpConfigureto retrieve the settings available from
sp_configureas these were the most important to my comparison. I ran this against production as well as each of my test instances and saved the results of each to a variable. Because accessing my production instance requires either jumping through hoops or using SQL Authentication, I passed
-SqlCredential (get-credential -Message "Prod" -UserName MySQLLogin)so I’d be prompted for that password instead of using Windows Authentication.
It’s good to have an automated process in place to script comparisons, either against a known good build or across servers which ought to be the same. Things that ought to be the same often aren’t.