Rolf Tesmer shows off how to use Azure Stream Analytics to push data in real time via the Power BI API into your Power BI dashboard:
You can push data to the Power BI streaming dataset API in a few ways… but they generally boil down to these 3 options…
- Directly call the API from code
- You could use something like Azure Function Apps to iteratively pull NEW rows that land in a SQL table, create the API Call, and push the new data directly to the API
- See here info on Azure Functions – https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/functions/
- Directly call the API from an Azure Logic App
- Azure Logic Apps are cool as for simple functions like this you can do pretty much the same as in the code option above but just using drag/drop and WITHOUT writing any code – https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/logic-apps/
- Use Azure Stream Analytics to push data into the API
- This is leveraging the solution in my previous post to push data from SQL CDC and into an Azure Event Hub, then via Azure Stream Analytics to Power BI
- Azure Stream Analytics – https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/stream-analytics/
- Azure Event Hubs – https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/event-hubs/
This blog post extends on my previous post – and thus I will be leveraging Option #3 above.
Definitely worth checking out if you are interested in real-time Power BI dashboards.