Recently during a demo at a SQL Saturday the query to pull the Extended Event session data, didn’t return the expected results. The session I used for the demo was the create database statement.
Prior to the session, I deleted the Create Database session, however did not delete the target files because they are part of the demo. Then I recreated the session, just as I had done before. However, this time was there was a difference when I attempted to read the target data. The entry for the newly created database was not showing up when I used the GUI, however was showing up when I read the XML. During the session, I was not able to figure out why that was the case.
Click through to see the root cause and how Dave fixed the problem.