Originally I had used the Start-Sleep command to wait 3 seconds ( Start-Sleep 3
). That worked fine on my machine, but when I deployed it to the server, I found I needed to bump it up to 6 seconds. At first that worked, but then a week later I needed to bump it up to 9 seconds. The problem here is obvious, if we force it to wait 9 seconds every time, even if the task was updated after 4 second, we’re wasting extra time. And those seconds are going to add up.
Read on for a smarter approach. Ideally we’d be able to use asynchronous event handling with awaits for all of this, but the real world is not always so nice.