I noticed the original error after applying the October 2018 bundle patch (BP) for 184.108.40.206. While I realize most clients are no longer in 220.127.116.11, this information remains valid for anyone upgrading from 11.2 to 12, 18 or 19c.
I had been doing several tests on my Spanish RAC (Real Application Cluster) Attack for 12.2. The goal was to patch my client to October 2018 PSU; obtaining enough security leverage to avoid patching their database and do their DB (database) upgrade to 18c. I created RAC VMs to enable testing. I also set up my environment to match the client’s, which had TDE with FIPS 140 enabled (I will provide more details on this later in the post).
While the patching was successful, the problem arose after applying the patch. I was unable to open the database despite having the correct password for the encryption key.
When I first read the title, I thought it was a joke making fun of Oracle’s licensing practices.