Eitan Blumin walks us through the process of moving from Azure SQL Database to an Azure SQL Managed Instance:
What we cannot do:
– You cannot backup and restore from Azure SQL DB to a Managed Instance.
– You cannot use Azure SQL DB as a source in Azure Data Migration Service (DMS).
– You cannot use Azure SQL DB as a source in Data Migration Assistant (DMA).
– You cannot use Azure SQL DB as a source in DB Mirroring, AlwaysOn, Transaction Log Shipping, or Replication.
– Implementing a custom T-SQL, SSIS, or ADF (Azure Data Factory) solution will be too complicated, and will require an unacceptable development overhead.
That last one is a bit iffy, though Eitan’s two solutions are going to be easier than a custom solution.