For this specific test, with a specific data size, distribution, and number of parameters, and on my particular hardware, JSON was a consistent winner (though marginally so). For some of the other tests in previous posts, though, other approaches fared better. Just an example of how what you’re doing and where you’re doing it can have a dramatic impact on the relative efficiency of various techniques, here are the things I’ve tested in this brief series, with my summary of which technique to use in that case, and which to use as a 2nd or 3rd choice (for example, if you can’t implement CLR due to corporate policy or because you’re using Azure SQL Database, or you can’t use JSON or
STRING_SPLIT()because you aren’t on SQL Server 2016 yet). Note that I didn’t go back and re-test the variable assignment and
SELECT INTOscripts using TVPs – these tests were set up assuming you already had existing data in CSV format that would have to be broken up first anyway. Generally, if you can avoid it, don’t smoosh your sets into comma-separated strings in the first place, IMHO.
That’s a rather interesting result, given how poorly JSON fared in some of the previous tests.