To solve the performance problem I went straight to the DefaultBufferMaxRows setting and set it to be equal of the maximum number of rows in a Row Group – 1048576. Together with the AutoAdjustBufferSize setting it helps the actual current size of the DataFlow Buffer that will be used for transferring the data from the source to the destination table.
What should I say – it worked like magic:
I guess that with 2:09 Minutes the clear winner of this test is the configuration with AutoAdjustBufferSize set to True and the DefaultBufferMaxRows to 1048576. It took less then a half of the time with just AutoAdjustBufferSize activated and the insertion process was executed with the help of the Bulk Load API – meaning that we did not have to wait for the Tuple Mover or to execute it manually.
Doubling insertion performance is nothing to scoff, especially for something like columnstore tables, where we expect millions (or more) of rows to be inserted.